Hands on Science Activities 2016 - 2017
Science Week in the Library
Mrs Donnelly's Room - Senior Infants and First Class
- Myself - Investigating our faces and recognising similarities and differences between faces.
- Myself – Healthy Habits – Requirements for staying healthy. Discussing how certain items contribute to keeping us healthy – water, shower gel, hula hoop, tissues. We put glitter onto a plate and pretended that the glitter was germs. We put damp hands into the glitter and then touched other people and food and we noticed that the “germs” spread from our hands to the other people and onto our food. (INVESTIGATION)
- Plants and Animals - Discussing the human life cycle. Naming the different stages – Baby, Child, Teenager, Adult. Recognising and naming the external parts of a spider. The Fox - discussing the characteristics of a fox.
- Plants and Animals - The Penguin and Antartica (Science Fair) Investigating the cold climate of Antartica and we need blubber from fat and cling film for the children to wear while placing their hands into icy water. (Photos) (INVESTIGATION)
- Becoming aware of people and animals in other areas – Sereneti Safari in Africa. We spent 2 weeks researching and learning about the different animals found in Africa. The children in First Class were taught how to use the internet to research about these animals. They learned how to open a Microsoft Word Document, add a title and type up about their chosen animal. They added a picture to the document. (ICT)
- Energy and Forces
Light – Investigating light and dark, mixing blue and yellow paints to make green. Experimenting to make different shades of green.
Sounds – Using our ears to hear a wide variety of sounds. We played a mystery sound game to identify sounds. We closed our eyes and listened to the sounds of the school. We identified and named sounds we hear in the school, at home and on a farm. (INVESTIGATION)
Rainbow Spinners in Mrs Boyles Room
Plants and Animals - at the Garden Centre
Nrs Mc Ginn and four girls from Mrs Donnellys room went to Silverhill Garden Centre to collect the plants and seeds that were being donated. These are now being planted in our own school garden.
Infants and Senior infants
Mrs Mc Ginns room did some work on push and pull, floating and sinking and plant life including the life cycle of the frog.
Environmental Awareness and Care
We now have three Green flags and we are working on our fourth for Transport.
We are continuing to monitir our litter and waste and our use of energy and water.
A girl called Sorcha came to help us - we used Google maps to make a map of our locality and we worked out how far we live from the school. (see Maths page)
At the RDS
We visited the RDS Science Fair in January. It was brilliant!
See some of our photos below....
We have entered a project on Mindfulness and Learning for the Belfast Fair. 6th Class will be presenting the project in early June. Watch this space for details.